.Two conflicting selections of the Portuguese Courtroom of the Administrative Arbitration Heart (CAAD or Arbitration Courtroom) have forged doubt on whether or not Portuguese holding corporations fashioned as Sociedade Gestora de Participações Sociais (SGPS) corporations borrowing funds from credit score establishments, monetary corporations and monetary establishments, may very well be entitled to a stamp obligation (SD) exemption.
Normally, the legislation restricts the admissible authorized goal of SGPS corporations to the administration of shareholdings in different corporations as an oblique type of enterprise a industrial exercise. A shareholding will probably be thought of an oblique type of enterprise a industrial exercise, supplied that it’s not occasional (one-year holding interval) and represents not less than 10% of an entity’s vote and capital, both instantly or not directly. Exception guidelines enable the acquisition of shareholdings under this threshold with out tainting the SGPS standing. After the company revenue tax (CIT) reform, SGPS now not have a particular CIT standing. Additionally, it is very important related that the SD code was amended with a view to lengthen a selected exemption to corporations on the whole and never simply to SGPSs.
For these much less acquainted with the tax guidelines relevant to lending and associated actions in Portugal, it is very important point out that SD is usually a serious difficulty, as the quantity of tax concerned might not be immaterial.
The utilisation of credit score, within the type of funds (liquidity), items and different values arising from the concession of credit score of any sort, besides as decided within the SD code, together with credit score assignments, factoring, and treasury operations which characterize a financing of any sort to the assignee, or debtor is topic to SD, based mostly on its respective worth and relevant charge (see under); for these functions, the extension of the contractual time period ought to be thought of a brand new financing.
The next charges ought to apply:
(i) Credit score with a time period shorter than one yr, 0.04% for every month or fraction thereof;
(ii) Credit score with a time period of 1 yr or extra (and fewer than 5 years), 0.50%;
(iii) Credit score with a time period of 5 years or extra, 0.60%;
(iv) If the contract qualifies as a revolving credit score facility or some other type of credit score with an undetermined or undeterminable time period, the relevant charge ought to be equal to 0.04%.
On this case, the speed applies on the common quantity utilised month-to-month, decided by adding-up the steadiness due for every day of a selected month, divided by 30.
Likewise, ensures, no matter their nature and kind, together with (however not restricted to) private ensures, mortgages, pledges, safety deposits and financial institution ensures are topic to SD, on their respective worth on the relevant charges, relying on the related time period, until such ensures are considerably ancillary to different contracts topic to SD and provided concurrently with the assured obligation (albeit in a distinct contract instrument or title):
(i) Time period shorter than one yr, 0.04% for every month or fraction thereof;
(ii) Time period equal to or better than one yr however shorter than 5 years, 0.5%;
(iii) Time period equal to or better than 5 years and ensures with no time period, 0.6%.
An extension to the time period of the contract is, on the whole, thought of a brand new taxable truth for SD functions. Transactions entered or intermediated by credit score establishments, monetary corporations or different entities assimilated to them in addition to different monetary establishments, together with, inter alia, commissions, curiosity and different consideration derived from monetary providers, are topic to SD at a 4% charge on the quantity charged.
In a call launched on October 28 2020, in Case 911/2019-T, the CAAD thought of that SGPS ought to be thought of ‘monetary establishments’ for functions of the exemption set forth in Article 7(1)(e).
Therefore, the courtroom thought of that Portuguese SGPS borrowing funds from qualifying monetary entities ought to be exempt of stamp obligation, as they need to be thought of monetary establishments below EU legislation – particularly below subsection 22 of part 1 of Article 3 of the Directive 2013/36/EU and subsection 26 of part 1 of Article 4 of the EU Regulation 575/2013.
For this goal, it was thought of irrelevant that Portuguese laws transposing the directive has apparently restricted the definition of holding corporations to SGPS which might be topic to the supervision of the Financial institution of Portugal (Banco de Portugal or BdP) (see subsection i) of part z) of Article 2-A of the Authorized Framework of Credit score Establishments and Monetary Firms – Regime Jurídico das Instituições de Crédito e Sociedades Financeiras or RJICSF ).
Nonetheless, the CAAD launched a contradictory determination in Case 856/2019-T only some days later (November 2 2020). On this case, the courtroom thought of that an SGPS can’t be thought of a monetary establishment for functions of the aforementioned provision if it’s not below the regulatory supervision of the BdP, thus following solely the definition included in Portuguese legislation.
Beneath Portuguese process legislation, these conflicting selections might now be topic to overview by the Portuguese superior courts. On this regard, we imagine that the next feedback might grow to be related within the context of future circumstances.
(1) From the angle of the historical past, in addition to the foreseeable intent underlying these provisions, the result of Case 1 may very well be shocking. Nonetheless, contemplating the applying of present EU legislation, in addition to the language of the supply, it appears laborious to contest that Article 7(1)(e) refers to EU legislation ideas reasonably than Portuguese laws.
(2) Some might argue that utilizing a wider definition of qualifying monetary establishment, past what has been the standard scope of this definition below Portuguese legislation, lacks a transparent legislative goal. What could be the curiosity to embody below the related definition entities holding shares in different entities which don’t, even remotely, perform a monetary exercise?
(3) It’s attention-grabbing to notice that the Banking Exercise Code (Código da Atividade Bancária or CAB), topic to public session, and which is meant to repeal and exchange the RJICSF, apparently aligns the home definition with EU legislation. Therefore, we anticipate that one difficulty to be mentioned going ahead just isn’t solely how the reference within the SD code ought to function but additionally whether or not the RJICSF is EU legislation compliant.
(4) Since this exemption is relevant additionally to outbound transactions, i.e. conditions the place Portuguese monetary entities have interaction within the financing of international entities or actions, it could be related to know what the place may very well be with regard to the financing of entities resident within the EU and/or treaty international locations whose goal and actions is similar to that of an SGPS.
(5) It’s also vital to think about whether or not this rule may additionally have an effect on different taxes, together with CIT, which use the idea of ‘monetary establishment’, specifically as soon as CAB enters into power.
(6) Lastly, will probably be essential to remain tuned on coverage developments on this space, as it could occur that the federal government, in gentle of the related affect of SD to the state funds, might favor to shut the hole through a legislative modification. To this extent it could both amend Article 7(1)(e) or, extra drastically, lastly repeal what’s left from the SGPS standing, following the CIT reform.
 Decree-law 298/92, of December 31, as amended.
T: +351 213 817 480
Ana Carrilho Ribeiro
T: +351 213 817 489
The fabric on this web site is for monetary establishments, skilled buyers and their skilled advisers.
materials topic to strictly enforced copyright legal guidelines.
© 2019 Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC. For assist please see our FAQ.