Ottawa’s historic ByWard Market is in line for a proposed $129 million makeover to create “community of inspiring public locations for” pedestrians.
The ByWard Market Public Realm Plan outlines new pedestrian areas on George Avenue, York Avenue and Clarence Avenue, and the introduction of the “William Avenue pedestrian backbone.”
The report for the Finance and Financial Improvement Committee additionally outlines long-term plans for a brand new “York Avenue Flex” plaza stretching from Sussex Drive to York Avenue and redeveloping the Clarence Avenue parking storage as a brand new “vacation spot constructing.”
The ByWard Market Public Realm Plan has been divided up into over 20 capital initiatives, with an estimated value of a minimum of $129 million.
“The imaginative and prescient set by the Public Realm Plan imagines a community of inspiring public locations for pedestrians the place residents and guests will linger, chill out, and discover this distinctive meals market and heritage district,” says a report for the Finance and Financial Improvement Committee on Dec. 1.
“The heritage market constructing will stay the guts of the Market. A key purpose of the Public Realm Plan is to shift the notion of the Market from a vehicular-oriented house to at least one the place pedestrians come first.”
The Metropolis of Ottawa says the plan has six “Large Strikes” as key transformative design ideas:
- Improve the customer expertise by delivering the next customary of design, programming, upkeep and operations
- Create “broad pedestrian promenades (as much as 20 metres huge)” on the north aspect of York, George and Clarence Streets.
- The introduction of the “William Avenue pedestrian backbone”, a pedestrian hall “by way of the guts of the market”, linking Clarence Avenue with Rideau Station.
- A brand new “vacation spot constructing” on the municipal parking storage on Clarence Avenue. Employees say, “A brand new vacation spot constructing to enhance the ByWard Market will probably be developed, with a brand new civic sq. as a central point of interest and competition house.”
- Avenue and pedestrian areas designed for versatile use for each day-to-day exercise and occasions.
- Enhanced greening practices to make sure all of the streets out there have a leafy, inexperienced picture by way of complete tree planting
The plan would preserve car circulation within the ByWard Market, besides on William Avenue.
“There is no such thing as a doubt this goals to be a complete plan that can depart no stone untouched within the ByWard Market Space. Most significantly, this plan establishes a imaginative and prescient and, transferring ahead, guiding ideas,” stated Councillor Mathieu Fleury in a report for the Finance and Financial Improvement Committee.
“I discover this plan distinctive as a result of it’ll enable the Market to formally outline its character and its distinct areas that make up the Market’s material.”
The costliest components of the $129 million plan embrace the broad pedestrian areas on George Avenue, between Sussex Drive and Cumberland Avenue, and York Avenue, from Sussex Drive to King Edward Avenue.
The Metropolis of Ottawa is hoping to cowl the $129 million plan with funding from higher ranges of presidency, public-private partnerships and leveraging evaluation administration funding the place practicable. Funding would even be topic to future metropolis budgeting.
There is no such thing as a cash in that funds to redevelop the municipal parking storage at 70 Clarence Avenue right into a vacation spot constructing. Employees say approval of the ByWard Market Public Realm Plan would set off an investigation into redevelopment choices, together with demolishing the construction.
A brand new York Avenue Flex Plaza is a part of the imaginative and prescient for the long run. Employees advocate the town search funding within the 2022 capital funds and from higher ranges of presidency to proceed with the detailed design for the plaza alongside York Avenue from Sussex Drive to ByWard Market Sq..
“The supply of this new house has the potential to make a big and quick influence on the general public realm, because it redefines the usage of house, creates a high-quality setting, and gives the flexibleness that’s basic to the plan,” stated the employees report.